blue or grey?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:59 pm

• seriously! what colour is the Yamato?
    shipbuilder
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:36 am

• Yes. :)

Oh, you want a color chosen?

OK, it goes to perception. Given that in the original series space was mostly 'blue', it follows that Yamato would be a gray with a more blueish cast.

Yamato 2199, not a doubt in the world the ship is straight-up Battleship Gray (with *maybe* a tiny touch of extra blue)

Just like another famous ship, the Enterprise from Star Trek, the color one chooses for their model should reflect one's perception of the subject, based on one's viewing. Some paint their Enterprise white, some a light gray, some even use a light powder blue because that's what it looked like on their TV. (for the record, the filming model for TV was a warm medium gray that under studio lighting color shifted to an off-white. It's shocking to see how SUBTLE the paint job was on that model, given 1960's NTSC low-res broadcast color.)

I have seen Yamato painted with dark metal paints, like 'burnt steel' and such and it looked pretty good. I wouldn't do it that way but that's my choice.

The ultimate answer is, paint it so it looks good to YOU. You're the one who will see it on your shelf for years to come.

How's that? :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:40 pm

• That's nice thank you :). oh and I forgot its white paintjob in 2520
    shipbuilder
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Return to Third Bridge

Information