Yamato 2199 Model building thread

Place to discuss merchandise, including Audiovisual media, toys/models, and publications.
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:31 pm

• Seems some people are picking up the varies 2199 model kits but I don't see any WIP and build thread so I'm starting one. Anyone building feel free to jump in and add your own WIP and finished pictures.

Last year. I got back into model building after stopping over 20 years ago and I started building some 2199 Kits late last year. Some not painted, Some not painted but fully panel lined and decaled and some of them will be fully painted and lined.

Let start with Cosmo Fleet #1 & 2. This two kits was done when I loaned out my airbrushing equipment to a friend's kid. it's not painted and some of the small detail pieces have not been glued on since I intend to take it apart and fully paint them later.

Last edited by Wiz33 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• I then got asked by another friend to teach his 12 year old son how to build model. I gave up a Cosmo Zero Alpha 1 for this. Kit is fairly simple so it's good for a first attempt. We did the cut, sand, assembly and panel lines together. The kit is not painted except I did paint the pilot figure and sprayed on a clear gloss coat before panel lining, I then did the water slide decals and then sprayed a final flat coat on top to seal everything.

Clear coated and panel lined.

lined and decaled with final flat coat/

I also shot a short video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJow18ZXmA

Hum, video did not show. Can someone show me how to link Youtube video?
    Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Started one of the 1/72 Cosmo Falcon last week. So far, got it cut, sanded and primed. Just started spraying on the primary color today. Here's a few pics:

All the primary color airbrushing Should be done later today. Then a few details and the pilot figure will have to hand painted before putting the thing together.
    Last edited by Wiz33 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Some great work, sir. When I get around to assembling the plethora of kits I now have residing in my cupboards, I'll come back here for some tips and tricks.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

• Got quite a lot done this week. Got all the pieces painted, clear coated and panel lined. Start putting the kit together. Made a procedural mistake though. If you are building a kit that would require you gluing some of the pieces together. DO NOT clear coat and panel line until afterwards. The gluing process can leaves residues and such that may require a bit of touch up and not having to deal with a clear coat would be much easier. As you can see in some of the following pics, I have to tape mask so I can do touch up spray on some area around the wing root.

Got that done and started to put on the water slide decals. There are some large ones over the wing and tail. and there are some raised details on the wing. You'll need to use a small pin to poke a tiny hole so you can work the air bubble trapped below and use plenty of decal softener to make the decal conform to the raised area.

Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Here's a few pics with most of the decals applied. There's a few that overlays on existing decals so I'm going to give the 1st set of decals more time to dry before I do the overlays.

Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Decal work completed. Still need to do some cleanup/touchup and reline the panel lines that's being covered up by the large decal on the wing. Then a final Semi-gloss coat to seal everything up.

Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:48 am

• Had some problem getting the large decal on the wings and tail to conform well even with decal softener. Finished it the best I can and here's the result.

Started building the same kit again with my friend's 12 years old son. Got the parts cut, sanded, washed and onto sticks. Next will prime and paint.

Short video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn5cxgFvbiY
    Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Check out this Yamato, from https://twitter.com/BELCORNO/status/506427488432431104:

The tweet reads:

Natsuyasumi no Kōshiki shukudai BATTLESHIP by @BELCORNO. Houmon no haichi-tou wa、Battleship Yamato sankou ni sakusei. Zairyou: wine bottles, corks, tsumayouji, kami, tako ito

"Summer vacation homework assignment: "Battleship", by @BELCORNO. The various portholes and such are all modeled on those of the actual battleship Yamato. Materials: wine bottles, corks, toothpicks, kite string."

(Translated by me... I apologize in advance for any mistakes)
    BruceLewis
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Return to Quartermaster's

Information