Is Yamato 2199 being released here as Star Blazers 2199?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!

• August Ragone wrote:No, I think we just want the original, uncut version. STAR BLAZERS is its own thing, and still exists, whether YAMATO: 2199 was created or not. No use forcing a square peg into a round hole just to satisfy a few fans. Most of those general audience kids who watched it "back in the day," are going to say, "Remember that show with the submarine in space? What was it called?" Some may remember terms like "Argo," "Gamilons," and "Star Force," but little else (for the most part).

I agree with August here. The primary market isn't going to be the general audience people, it's going to be hardcore anime fans, who in this day and age demand things are unchanged from the Japanese original.

Aside from that, the American names just won't work in 2199 with all the visual, English language depictions of both the name Yamato and of crew members' names. People will wind up more confused as to why the ship's being referred to as the Argo while Yamato is stenciled all over the ship and appears on duty patches as well, or why audio is saying "Wildstar" while "S. Kodai" is on his uniform.

A more elegant solution will be to have a substantial FAQ for these sorts of things - let people who don't know the original names know who translates to whom. Of course, I can't wait to see them try to explain how Conroy's 2IC Hardy has turned into a woman that bears a passing resemblance to Evangelion's Rei Ayanami!
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

• IF the show gets released.. sorry folks, impending buzzkill here... Then they've already screwed up by going to the expense of changing Yamato to Argo in the first place. There's no reason for it, and unless they're going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to scrub the word from the footage, it's just going to confuse people.
    Case in point:
    About a decade ago, 4kids brought the animated version of One Piece to US tv and it was an unmitigated disaster. They hacked up character's stories, digitally removed weapon to make it less violent, even went so far as replace a minor character with a digital ICEBERG (no, I'm not kidding, you read that right) because they thought kids wouldn't understand the character's storyline. All told, they spent buckets and buckets of cash editing the series, and all it did was alienate the very fanbase they were counting on to help build a following. When a totally different company began airing episodes of the show on Toonami a few years ago, the reaction was a very wary 'meh.'
    If they were smart, they'd not change the ship name, just keep it Yamato, avoid having to do anything to the footage. Also... I wouldn't even bother with American TV or psychical video market, profit margin's too low. I'd go straight to digital distro over iTunes/Amazon/etc. If they did that, dubbing costs would be the only issue, which it sounds like they've already done.
    DevinCx
    Cadet

• Agreed. But, Bang! Zoom! Entertainment has only dubbed the first two episodes — at the request of the Japanese producers — for the means of promotion and sales (and that dubbing is fairly *meh*, unfortunately). Steaming via Hulu, Crunchyroll, Funimation, etc. would be their best bet — worked miracles for LUPIN III: A WOMAN CALLED FUJIKO MINE (and you can select dubbed or subbed)!
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

• I'm still having a hard time figuring out why anyone wants SB2199. Given the chance to either watch a dubbed, edited version or 2199 or going to the Japanese blu ray originals, the blu ray would win every time.
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Chris wrote:I'm still having a hard time figuring out why anyone wants SB2199. Given the chance to either watch a dubbed, edited version or 2199 or going to the Japanese blu ray originals, the blu ray would win every time.

We have a misunderstanding of what 'Star Blazers 2199' means here.

There is NO, repeat, NO indication that there would be any editing of the content. That choice would be up to whatever company bought the rights, and where they thought they could 'place' the product. Given that the afternoon 'kidvid' market in local TV syndication NO LONGER EXISTS, this is a very minor concern.

For that matter, getting the show on American TV in any form is such an impossible task it's not even worth considering. Mind, there is a tiny, narrow, invisible chance if the right company with the right pull and the right timing and the right plan got involved, but that's such a slim chance it's just not worth considering.

'Star Blazers 2199' exists only as a marketing concept in the minds of Voyager Entertainment Japan, because someone told them it's how to sell the show internationally. Someone they really shouldn't be listening to but has some form of credibility in the eyes of the powers that be.

I think Tim, August and I could write a massive polemic on the history of misguided , mis-timed and just plain boneheadedness when it comes to Japanese companies trying to do things in the American marketplace. This is just the most current example.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Amen, Steve! With that being said, Voyager via the Bang! Zoom! rep at SDCC this past July said that the Japanese producers want the series to preem on US television. Tim informed them that by the current US broadcast standards, the original episodes of Y2199 are too long, and such a broadcast would necessitate the network to cut the episodes down. Plus, the Japanese commercial breaks are after the opening credits, at the mid-break, and at the conclusion of the episode and before the ending credits — which the original brodcast of STAR BLAZERS enjoyed back in 1979, but is no longer in practice. Today, there are commercial breaks every five minutes, which would also ruin the dramatic continuity of the episodes with such frequent interruptions. We told them that they'd be better off going to Streaming and/or VOD.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

• All I know is that every time I watch a 2199 episode, I think, DAMN this would be WAY better with more commercial breaks.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

• Tim Eldred wrote:All I know is that every time I watch a 2199 episode, I think, DAMN this would be WAY better with more commercial breaks.

Five minute chunks of program with 7 minutes of commercials in between? GENIUS! :)

(we used to call that the SciFi Channel/USA Network formula. Sadly, it's not that much of a joke anymore)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Previous

Return to Third Bridge

Information