Is Yamato 2199 being released here as Star Blazers 2199?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!

• I’ve heard that Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is being released here as Star Blazers 2199. Is this true?

Currently, Yamato 2199 is being marketed outside Japan as Star Blazers 2199. Why they are doing this is not entirely clear, and what impact this will have on the show is still a "wait and see" situation. A promotional English dub of the first episode was shown at some conventions in 2013, and these kept the Japanese names for the characters. However, the ship name is currently unclear. Promotional material seems to refer to it as the Argo, but the first episode only refers to the "Argo Project" rather than the ship itself.

As there has been no licence announcement, nothing concrete can be said. However, it is very likely that a property of Yamato’s importance will get an English dub.
    As for which names will be used, that’s up to the terms of the licence. It seems more likely that the Japanese names will be used for the following reasons:

(1) Yamato 2199 has a lot of visual, Romanised (effectively English language) references to the Japanese names, both of the ship and of the characters. Name badges, duty patches, computer screens, ship’s crests, bulkhead stencilling amongst others.

(2) Cost of removing/editing the items in (1) would be considerable, and as such there is not likely to be visual editing, so there would be the problem of conflicting names seen on screen to what’s talked about in the dialogue, e.g. talking about the Argo while walking past a Yamato crest or a bulkhead stencilled with “BBY-01 Yamato” on it. Likewise, they could be talking about Nova Forrester while a badge on her uniform says Yuki Mori. Many people will find it confusing.

Still, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they will dub the final production with the English language names. Only time will tell.
    Analyzer
    Analyzer

• I hope they do keep the Japanese names. The kids now are used to seeing anime with the Japanese names intact
    so it won't be as foreign as they sounded back in the late 70's.
    Dirtweed
    Cadet

• The big problem in doing a total Star Blazers conversion of 2199 are the new crew members. Do you keep their names intact or do you change them to fit the aesthetic? If you keep the new crew members names, then they should keep all the Japanese names for consistency. (This includes the ship)
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• I hope to purchase the blu rays with English subtitles in the near future. I feel it's the perfect way to enjoy this series.
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Series5Ranger wrote:The big problem in doing a total Star Blazers conversion of 2199 are the new crew members. Do you keep their names intact or do you change them to fit the aesthetic? If you keep the new crew members names, then they should keep all the Japanese names for consistency. (This includes the ship)

That's not true. The big problem in using the SB names is that there are visual, Romaji (English) references to the Japanese names. The detail of the animation is so good that you see the Japanese names Romanised on uniforms, computer displays, and documents... not to mention the name Yamato is emblazoned on very prominent ship crests, bulkhead stenciling, duty patches and computer displays. That's going to make the use of the name Argo look rather foolish. I'm seriously hoping they use the Yamato name in the end.

The truth is, in this day and age, there's no need to change the names like there was in the 1970s with the original series. Even in the unlikely scenario that there are still WW2 veterans or one generation later who still bear grudges against Japan that are running TV networks, TV isn't the target market anymore. It's all direct-to-video releases and streaming, and the current anime market would prefer to see the original names intact.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

• A really love the American names but it looks like the fans demand the Japaneses one. It's just tough getting used to Kodia instead of Derek Wildstar in my head. I just hope they do a good job on the voice talent. So the big question is what do we know about Starblazers 2199 so far?
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• DanGeorge wrote:That's not true. The big problem in using the SB names is that there are visual, Romaji (English) references to the Japanese names. The detail of the animation is so good that you see the Japanese names Romanised on uniforms, computer displays, and documents... not to mention the name Yamato is emblazoned on very prominent ship crests, bulkhead stenciling, duty patches and computer displays. That's going to make the use of the name Argo look rather foolish. I'm seriously hoping they use the Yamato name in the end.

Eh, just put solid black bars with the SB names in big blocky letters every time a name shows up on a computer screen or coffee cup. No one will notice! ;)

DanGeorge wrote:The truth is, in this day and age, there's no need to change the names like there was in the 1970s with the original series. Even in the unlikely scenario that there are still WW2 veterans or one generation later who still bear grudges against Japan that are running TV networks, TV isn't the target market anymore. It's all direct-to-video releases and streaming, and the current anime market would prefer to see the original names intact.

I never cared much for the psuedo-Star Warsian names, even as a kid. I'm not a huge anime fan, so I'm not a purist by any means, but give me Kodai, not Wildstar. ("Wildstar" would make a good fighter call sign if they want to go the nu-BSG route, but that may be going too far off-script to introduce a second name like that.)

HS
    Hardy Shinohara

• I got used to the Japanese names a good while ago. Thing is, there's a HUGE fan base sleeping right now. They're people who don't follow anime. They have no idea that the Argo is really the Yamato. etc. etc. etc. I'm talking mainstream folk as opposed to the eccentric bunch we appear to be to them.

But, whenever they see something from Star Blazers they get excited and remember when they used to run home from school to watch Star Blazers. Not using the English names may confuse/distract them.
    JohnStanowski

• JohnStanowski wrote:I got used to the Japanese names a good while ago. Thing is, there's a HUGE fan base sleeping right now. They're people who don't follow anime. They have no idea that the Argo is really the Yamato. etc. etc. etc. I'm talking mainstream folk as opposed to the eccentric bunch we appear to be to them.

But, whenever they see something from Star Blazers they get excited and remember when they used to run home from school to watch Star Blazers. Not using the English names may confuse/distract them.

Same thing here. I like the Americanized names better but too many people here demand they have the Japanese names.
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• No, I think we just want the original, uncut version. STAR BLAZERS is its own thing, and still exists, whether YAMATO: 2199 was created or not. No use forcing a square peg into a round hole just to satisfy a few fans. Most of those general audience kids who watched it "back in the day," are going to say, "Remember that show with the submarine in space? What was it called?" Some may remember terms like "Argo," "Gamilons," and "Star Force," but little else (for the most part).
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Next

Return to Third Bridge

Information