What happened to the classic character names?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!

• And that is why I hated the Bolar Wars!
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• But again about the accents. The Yamato, being built by the EDF, should be an international effort. With the whole crew having Japanese names but only one guy looking Asian it doesn't make sense. With a dub with every earthling having an American accent and the Gamalons having British or just "bad guy" voices would be another Sci-Fi cliche.
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Todd S wrote:The Yamato, being built by the EDF, should be an international effort.

Why should it? If the project to build the ship was initiated in Japan, and the knowledge was in Japan, it makes more sense for the manpower to be sourced locally, especially given the risk of transporting people through the irradiated Earth skies, and Japan is even today one of the most advanced countries in the world as far as engineering goes - they have little need to import a great amount of technical knowledge and are world leaders in electronics engineering and can more than hold their own as shipbuilders. Aside from that, foreign consultants could relay their expertise through communication channels rather than having to be onsite (this is especially the case in 2199, where we see transglobal video communication is used). For all we know, the attitude shown by world leaders in Episode 2 (we wish you luck, but don't expect any help from us) might have been the attitude with the entire project from the word go.

You don't pick a crew based on a minimum quota from each country. This isn't the MLB All-Star Game where at least one player from each team has to make the roster. This is a situation where the future of the planet is at stake, and the best available people are chosen for the mission. It just so happens that between skill level and the ability to safely transport candidates from other parts of the world, the best people available are Japanese.

Todd S wrote:But again about the accents. .... With the whole crew having Japanese names but only one guy looking Asian it doesn't make sense. With a dub with every earthling having an American accent and the Gamalons having British or just "bad guy" voices would be another Sci-Fi cliche.

Japanese characters in anime don't necessarily look Japanese, and in a lot of cases, non-Japanese characters were actually portrayed to have darker complexions than Japanese characters (case in point: Roy Focker (American) and Captain Global (Italian) in the original Macross TV series had darker complexions than Japanese characters Hikaru Ichijo and Misa Hayase). ALL of the Yamato crew are meant to be Japanese in both the original and in 2199.

As for the accents, anime is dubbed these days with characters retaining their Japanese names. Occasionally if a character is neither Japanese nor American they'll get an accent for their nationality, or if a character is from Osaka they'll get a southern US accent but that's about the only variation you get usually. A 2199 dub will most likely have straight American accents with maybe a southern accent for one or two of the characters.

Meanwhile, instead of hitting reply, if you're responding to a specific post, can you please use the "quote" button instead of the reply button? It makes things easier to interpret who you're responding to when there are multiple people in the discussion.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

• Interesting. It just occurred to me that for a Yamato 2199 dub to be culturally accurate, the entire crew should have Japanese accents. But that wouldn't fly with anyone.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

• Tim Eldred wrote:Interesting. It just occurred to me that for a Yamato 2199 dub to be culturally accurate, the entire crew should have Japanese accents. But that wouldn't fly with anyone.

One might say... Rotsa Ruck! :)

Ahhh, old stereotypes are old. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Tim Eldred wrote:Interesting. It just occurred to me that for a Yamato 2199 dub to be culturally accurate, the entire crew should have Japanese accents. But that wouldn't fly with anyone.

That would be what the original Japanese langage dub is for. Nothing wrong with the characters being voiced with accents for a US or international release. After all, do Japanese voice actors dubbing American movies speak in Japanese with an American accent? (Interesting aside: characters from the Kansai region are often voiced with a southern accent - I wonder if the reverse is true for Japanese dubs of characters from Texas?)
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

• DanGeorge wrote:
    Tim Eldred wrote:Interesting. It just occurred to me that for a Yamato 2199 dub to be culturally accurate, the entire crew should have Japanese accents. But that wouldn't fly with anyone.

That would be what the original Japanese langage dub is for. Nothing wrong with the characters being voiced with accents for a US or international release. After all, do Japanese voice actors dubbing American movies speak in Japanese with an American accent? (Interesting aside: characters from the Kansai region are often voiced with a southern accent - I wonder if the reverse is true for Japanese dubs of characters from Texas?)

Well I'll tell you. If you want a quick lesson in how the Japanese handle dubbing of English language films, I commend you to find a copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail on DVD. The LD had a complete second audio track in Japanese, I don't think the DVD does that for the whole film but there IS a scene included as an extra, at least on the American releases.

I'll say no more but I would eagerly await your comment after you listen. I would say they picked just exactly the right Seiyuu. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Steve H wrote:
    DanGeorge wrote:
    Tim Eldred wrote:Interesting. It just occurred to me that for a Yamato 2199 dub to be culturally accurate, the entire crew should have Japanese accents. But that wouldn't fly with anyone.

Well I'll tell you. If you want a quick lesson in how the Japanese handle dubbing of English language films, I commend you to find a copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail on DVD. The LD had a complete second audio track in Japanese, I don't think the DVD does that for the whole film but there IS a scene included as an extra, at least on the American releases.

I'll say no more but I would eagerly await your comment after you listen. I would say they picked just exactly the right Seiyuu. :)

I could be wrong, but I think the Australian DVD might have that extra... now to go find it in my maze of anime DVDs and Blu-Rays that I call "shelves" ... :mrgreen:
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

• As I am deep into Japanese cinema and pop culture, I can tell you that there are a number of Japanese films, television productions, and even some anime, that have featured American characters speaking stilted Japanese ("Hey, you Jap! C'mon over here!"). I even own a number of them... There's a nice play on this in Ishiro Honda's DOGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER (1964): Robert Dunham (billed as "Dan Yuma") plays an international "Diamond G-Man," who speaks really coarse Japanese — like someone from Kansai — it's really funny, intentionally, (especially in his commentary on edamame), which is sadly lost not only in the English Subtitling (which would need footnotes), but also completely in the subsequent English Dub.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Steve H wrote:
    DanGeorge wrote:

Maybe I've got the wrong seiyuu, but the only one I could find was complete irony. Taichiro Hirokawa, voice of Mamoru Kodai, voicing the not-so-brave Sir Robin? He was the only cast member I could find with credits in MPHG. I thought I heard Analyser's voice actor, Kenichi Ogata. Who should I have been listening for?
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

PreviousNext

Return to Third Bridge

Information