Any word on Star Blazers 2199?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm

• Release dates? Will it be shown on any TV networks? Voice talents? What do we know so far?
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:34 am

• Todd S wrote:Release dates? Will it be shown on any TV networks? Voice talents? What do we know so far?

We know what we know last week, we know what we know last month...

To recap: Nothing is happening. Not. A. Thing. Star Blazers 2199 does not exist as a viable product as far as North America, or just about anywhere else, is concerned. It exists merely as a sales concept in the fevered mind of someone in Japan.

If something was happening I am firmly positive that Tim would say something on his Facebook page. It would be a massive headline. He'd probably 'sticky' it so it was always the top post.

Everyone here longs for a legit R1 release of Yamato 2199. It COULD happen but the odds are so stacked against it.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I would just relax, and if it happens either as Star Blazers 2199 of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, cheer and shout at that point.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 pm

• What Steve said. Life is too short, and as a first-gen YAMATO fan, I didn't want to be at the mercy of a North American distribution deal that could take years — especially when the Japanese Blu-rays are readily available. So, I purchased them as they were released (the Theater Exclusives, even), because I didn't want let too much water pass under the proverbial bridge. But, some people can wait. And there's nothing wrong with that. So, I would cross your fingers, but I wouldn't hold your collective breath.

With that being said, as has already been stated elsewhere, the producers commissioned English Dubs of the first two episodes, simply for sales purposes. One of the folks in charge at Bang! Zoom! Entertainment — who were recommended to the producers by former Bandai Entertainment mucky-muck, Robert Napton (formerly of US Renditions-fame) — told us after the screening at San Diego Comic-Con told us as much, and that if the series sells (the Japanese producers are gunning for television broadcast, perhaps unrealistically), they will then move forward to dub the other episodes.

Of course, the cast and director of first two episodes may not be available if and when that happens (if at all), and so they would probably have to recast and redub the first two episodes. Obviously, this is all speculation on my part, but follows the established pattern for previous ventures such as this. I've worked for a few Japanese companies vying to sell their product to US distributors, and there seems to be a prejudiced perspective of the US market, distribution, audience, sales, etc. Even in regards to big, established Japanese anime distributors in the US (such as the late Geneon and Bandai Entertainment), which all seem to make the extact same mistakes in approaching the North American marketplace.

Following the patter of History Repeating, if they fail with "Star Blazers 2199," they will withdraw and retract completly from the North American market, and instead of looking into the mirror in regards to their own hubris and naievity, they will simply blame us, instead. Sad, but true.

To paraphrase Sanada in the last episode of YAMATO: 2199, "Miracles don't happen, they are made."
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:26 am

• And, as what August said, ditto.

I've been telling people for DECADES now about the 'old playbook' and 'embedded action line' of how Japan sees the American market, which leads to the same, exact mistakes over and over and over. One only has to have watched Bandai in their attempts to 'crack' the American toy market, starting with the co-op deal with Mattel that created Shogun Warriors (which may or may not have been tied to Bandai Japan learning of Toei's sale of several shows to the Jim Terry production company, look up 'Force Five' for that), the success of which led Bandai's American office (then set in New Jersey) to try and sell some Gatchaman toys under the Battle of the Planets banner. Sadly, they completely neglected to actually identify WHICH Gatchaman show was adapted by Sandy Frank so sitting proudly on shelves at Toys R Us were a number of brand new shiny...toys from Gatchaman II. Which sat and sat and sat.

I won't bore people with all the stuff about how Bandai Japan used Uchino International as an official 'gray market' importer and how that led to the amazing failure that was the Godaikin line and blah blah blah. TOY NERD! :)

(and Gundam. Oh, Gundam. Epic fail.)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:37 am

• Yeah, Steve... I also experience all of that Japanese toynami of the late '70s/early '80s at Toys R Us. Wow. Some people don't believe me... Haha. Unfortunately, Bandai never made toys from the first GATCHAMAN, so when they tried to capture the BATTLE OF THE PLANETS market, they not only issued the GATCHAMAN II toys, but also they were two years too late. Hehe.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 am

• August Ragone wrote:What Steve said. Life is too short, and as a first-gen YAMATO fan, I didn't want to be at the mercy of a North American distribution deal that could take years — especially when the Japanese Blu-rays are readily available. So, I purchased them as they were released (the Theater Exclusives, even), because I didn't want let too much water pass under the proverbial bridge. But, some people can wait. And there's nothing wrong with that. So, I would cross your fingers, but I wouldn't hold your collective breath.

With that being said, as has already been stated elsewhere, the producers commissioned English Dubs of the first two episodes, simply for sales purposes. One of the folks in charge at Bang! Zoom! Entertainment — who were recommended to the producers by former Bandai Entertainment mucky-muck, Robert Napton (formerly of US Renditions-fame) — told us after the screening at San Diego Comic-Con told us as much, and that if the series sells (the Japanese producers are gunning for television broadcast, perhaps unrealistically), they will then move forward to dub the other episodes.

Of course, the cast and director of first two episodes may not be available if and when that happens (if at all), and so they would probably have to recast and redub the first two episodes. Obviously, this is all speculation on my part, but follows the established pattern for previous ventures such as this. I've worked for a few Japanese companies vying to sell their product to US distributors, and there seems to be a prejudiced perspective of the US market, distribution, audience, sales, etc. Even in regards to big, established Japanese anime distributors in the US (such as the late Geneon and Bandai Entertainment), which all seem to make the extact same mistakes in approaching the North American marketplace.

Following the patter of History Repeating, if they fail with "Star Blazers 2199," they will withdraw and retract completly from the North American market, and instead of looking into the mirror in regards to their own hubris and naievity, they will simply blame us, instead. Sad, but true.

To paraphrase Sanada in the last episode of YAMATO: 2199, "Miracles don't happen, they are made."

Stuff like this makes me nervous! I am so worried that an Americanized Star Blazers will be some sort of butcher job without the same love and care as the original series. With the right voice talent and promotion Star Blazers 2199 could be huge here, or maybe not.
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 am

• What everyone above has said, and quite frankly, they may be asking too much for it.

-(Especially when I see Sentai Filmworks license 10 (yes 10) shows from the 2013 Fall Anime season)

Right now we have 3-4 main distributors of anime in the U.S.

-Sentai Filmworks (Basically the company that evolved from ADV Films going under)

-Funimation (Still going strong, but they've been hedging their bets a bit, since they've only licensed some of the bigger titles and some of the stuff from Media Factory and the AT-X channel) (Bigger titles like :Attck on Titan, The Evangelion Movies, Space Dandy (Coming in the Winter 2013 / 2014 Season) , and they got Cowboy Bebop when Bandai stopped distributing over here))

Aniplex USA, ( Relatively new licensor in the States, biggest fan complaint is their price points, because they do it old school ADV style 5-6 Episodes per release, yet charges a high premium for their Blu-Ray Offerings, and doesn't release everything on Blu-Ray)

Viz (right now Viz hasn't licensed much recently with K and Copellion being their previous licenses.)

Due to their relationship with Production I.G, Funimation may be the only one of the 4 who has a chance and possibly the financial resources to get it, but with their other High profile Acquisitions, they may not have the capital to do it either, unless the rumor about them getting Yamato: Resurrection is true, which might open the doors to them getting Yamato: 2199 as well.
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:30 am

• Funi does have Yamato: Resurrection. There was some odd hiccup that had stalled the contract, or so I read, but supposedly things are moving again.

My complete and utter speculation is Voyager Ent. Japan started slow-walking the contract in hopes of netting a BIG NAME (i.e. Warner Bros, Sony/Columbia, Fox. Paramount, blah blah) who wanted to buy Yamato 2199 for American release, and by flawed logic pick up all of Yamato. It was expected to happen because of their 'showing' at SDCC.

Note that while this is all baseless speculation, it's speculation based on facts and history.

My thinking is that since the magic didn't happen, Voyager Ent. Japan must have shrugged their collective shoulders and said "Eh, OK, let them have that movie"

Don't expect Funimation to put much into it. It's not going to get the same 'push' as, say, the third Evangelion movie.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 am

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 am

• August Ragone wrote:I also suspect that Voyager Entertainment USA wanted Funimation to market RESURRECTION under the "Star Blazers" banner...

Sooner or later they're going to realise there is limited benefit to keeping the Star Blazers name going. It would be extremely weird, since all of the Yamato movies were released under the original name.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Next

Return to Third Bridge

Information