Suggestion: 'Attention Admin' topic needed

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!

• As a top level troubleshooting and general problem with the BBS discussion and alerts area.

For example, I would STRONGLY suggest putting up another level of confirmation or vetting. The way the system is set now, just sign up and you're in, this is a spammer's paradise. There are bots crawling all over the web looking for this sort of thing and just one person creating account after account can really ruin the corn flakes.

Also, be aware of sock puppet creation. It's bound to happen.

I think it may already be starting, actually...
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Attention Admin:

Don't know if this is a hiccup or a flaw, but clicking on the 'last post' icon next to a person's handle doesn't take you to that last post, it drops you at the top of the page where that post is.

It's not a terrible thing and I can see value in 'making' people at least skim past posts leading up to that last post (because we all need more context :) ) but it seems a mechanical flaw to me.

Thank you
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Steve H wrote:Attention Admin:

Don't know if this is a hiccup or a flaw, but clicking on the 'last post' icon next to a person's handle doesn't take you to that last post, it drops you at the top of the page where that post is.

It's not a terrible thing and I can see value in 'making' people at least skim past posts leading up to that last post (because we all need more context :) ) but it seems a mechanical flaw to me.

Thank you

Sorry, but I didn't write the forum code. If you want to raise a bug, take it up with the guys that wrote it.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

• If it's phpBB, we're in luck. PHP code is surprisingly maintainable and customizable
    chromemonkey
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• chromemonkey wrote:If it's phpBB, we're in luck. PHP code is surprisingly maintainable and customizable

Well, you see it as well, correct?

If you click on the little tag next to a poster's name, that's supposed to take you to that post in the thread.

What I see is clicking that tag takes you to the top of the page of that thread. Now, if it's multi-page, it DOES take you to the last page, so PART of the code is functioning right. :)

I'm just saying that every single other BBS I visit has that 'see last post' function. It's not being picky, it's submitting a bug report.

Which is why a clearly marked 'attention admin, there is a problem here' thread should be stickied. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Steve H wrote:
    chromemonkey wrote:If it's phpBB, we're in luck. PHP code is surprisingly maintainable and customizable

Well, you see it as well, correct?

If you click on the little tag next to a poster's name, that's supposed to take you to that post in the thread.

What I see is clicking that tag takes you to the top of the page of that thread. Now, if it's multi-page, it DOES take you to the last page, so PART of the code is functioning right. :)

I'm just saying that every single other BBS I visit has that 'see last post' function. It's not being picky, it's submitting a bug report.

Which is why a clearly marked 'attention admin, there is a problem here' thread should be stickied. :)

And I have no interest in touching any code. So take it up with the program's authors.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Return to Third Bridge

Information