Report In

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:08 pm

• Hello all, I'm Robert in Cleveland, Ohio. About to turn 48, and started with Star Blazers in 1979 every weekday after school. Saw the first two seasons in Columbus, OH (through the miracle of cable television and a Cleveland station, IIRC) at the same time I was giddy over Star Wars and Doctor Who. Having spent my earlier years devoted to Godzilla films and other anime like Speed Racer, Astro Boy and Kimba, I knew SB was Japanese, but it wasn't until the 90s that I was able to find the series again and information on the larger universe of SBY, and rediscover it through DVDs.

Even then, it wasn't until 10 years ago when living in San Francisco that I was lucky enough to make the acquaintance of August Ragone, who was kind enough to infodump on me and loaned me the CD of Symphonic Suite Yamato. More than anything else, it was Hiroshi Miyagawa's music for SBY that had most stuck with me through the years, and that album really kicked my passion for the show back into high-gear. The past few years has been a lot of catching up on the films, starship miniatures/models, and so on, and it was only last year that I finally got to see Series 3 (the seasons on Amazon Instant Video are a killer deal).

And, of course, SBY2199. I'm not much of a superfan of modern anime (with the exception of anything to do with Ghost in the Shell), but I am absolutely in love with SBY2199. I consider it one of the finest works of animation I've ever watched, and one of the best science fiction/space opera works of all time, period. I'm so grateful for the subs on the BDs, and just wish I could have made a journey back to Japan to catch the final chapter in theaters. Maybe next time for this new project!

Anyway, big thanks to Tim, Dan, et al for starting up this forum, for keeping the website alive and kickin' despite the politics, and for being such a great lifeline through Facebook. I wouldn't have a fraction of an idea of what all has been going on with SBY (past, present, future) if it wasn't for your hard work.
    --
    Robert
    Cleveland, OH - USA
    rsaintjohn
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

• Hello everybody! My name is Charles and I'm a law student at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA, but I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. I got into Star Blazers/Yamato through my mother who, like many other people above, watched the show back in the day on Channel 29! I grew up in the late 90's/early 00's anime boom, so I've been a fan of anime from an early age, but nothing compares to my love of Yamato! I'm looking forward to being a part of this brave new forum dedicated to my favorite anime series!
    Here I am cosplaying as my favorite villain turned anti-hero turned protagonist: Desslok! (I know, I know, the hair. I forgot the dye at home that con... :( )
    "As long as I live and fight, Gamilon lives..." -Desslok.
    chucklocker
    Cadet

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 pm

• Hello I'm Angela, I found Yamato and the old site while looking for information on Leiji Mastumoto and really stared to read up because I-Con was had a good chunk of the cast together a few years ago. I'm happy to have started watching and have being having a good time on the Facebook group so far.
    yamiangie
    Cadet

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 am

• Well, I'm Steve, I've been in the game since the first run of Star Blazers in 1979. That is all. For now. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:27 am

• Salute! I've been a fan of YAMATO since 1975, when I was first hipped to the series from the original four Bandai model kits that came into one of our shops at Japantown, here in San Francisco. I was teased by an expat Japanese friend whom I went to school with, while I drooled on the model boxes, "Oh, you don't know SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO? I watched it! You didn't!" After that, I made it my mission to learn everything I could about the series, and started collecting — especially during the hype of 1977 — even though I couldn't see it, yet.

During 1978, I discovered that a Japanese exchange student at my High School was a Yamato fan, and we lent each manga and records. She went back home for vacation and got to see FAREWELL YAMATO, and told me all about it. In the summer of 1979, I saw the English-dubbed movie SPACE CRUISER YAMATO in the Cartoon/Fantasy Organization's "Japanimation Room" at major SF convention, here in SF, and lept at the opportunity to join their club. I became an active contributor to their zine and organizing screenings, and road trips to LA to visit them.

Our local horror host, Bob Wilkins, began a weekday series to air Japanese superhero and sci-fi programming, called "Captain Cosmic" on KTVU-2. Running such shows as ULTRAMAN and JOHNNY SOKO, he lept on STAR BLAZERS as it went into syndication, and the first episode was broadcast in early September 1979 — ahead of all the other markets. Needless to say, STAR BLAZERS became an instant hit, ran several times, and was even broadcast on other Northern California stations, including KICU-36 (San Jose) and KTXL-40 (Sacramento).

After the first week of broadcast on KTVU-2, being Bob Wilkins' resident "Japanese Film Expert," as a frequent guest on his shows, I was invited on "Captain Cosmic" to talk about YAMATO. Of course, I was a teen, and information was very limited (as were my Japanese language skills at the time), but I think I did a good job for being a kid, armed with what I had at the time. Here is that appearance from September 1979 (be sure to turn on the annotations):

http://youtu.be/M4vJDO5aa4s

Later that year, Bob Wilkins sponsored a weekend event he had me organize and host, "The Japanese Fantasy Film Fare," which I subtitled a "Star Blazers Party," held in a vacant shop in the Union City Mall in the South Bay. Advertised on Bob's shows and through a flier campaign, and the C/FO (ah, the days of analog), little did we realize that this would become aknowledged as the first Anime Event held outside of Japan (by Fred Patten, founder of the C/FO, in his book Watching Anime, Reading Manga (Stone Bridge, 2004). Wow. We were just a bunch of kids wanting to share the love... Who knew?

(We did three more of them and were crazy enough to drag my VCR to any convention we could and set up somewhere to show as much Anime as we could, and also ran the infamous STAR BLAZERS marathons — all 26 episodes, back to back — in our hotel room for anyone to drop in and drop out at any time... Ah, youth!)

Spent some time in Japan during the mid-1980s, dropped out of Anime Fandomˇ by the early '90s, but I was still fond of all of the classics I grew up with — the Englsih versions everyone grew up with along with what our Japanese-language stations were running during the '70s, and all of the other amazing shows I discovered thanks to Japantown. I've gone on to writing and speaking about all of this crazy Japanese sci-fi and monster stuff, all over the map, and had my first book published in 2007 (and did a lot of other stuff). But I never, ever turned my back on YAMATO.

(And I think YAMATO: 2199 is the greatest remake of anything, ever!)

So, with that, I bid a hearty "YOSORO!" (steady as she goes) to my fellow YAMATO fans!
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 am

• Greetings all! I am YamatoGuru, many of you may know me best from my YouTube channel where I've uploaded videos featuring Tim Eldred's exciting "Star Blazers Rebirth" web comic set to classic Yamato music. If you haven't checked them out yet, you can jump right in by clicking the link in my sig below. I'm still not finished with that project (I have a tendency to get caught up in multiple projects) but rest assured the final chapters are coming.

My love for Yamato started when my father (one of you honorable Star Blazers vets) revisited his childhood via the Voyager DVDs. He insisted I watch with him and I was immediately hooked to the epic and enthralling storytelling. Since then I've eagerly explored all the later chapters of the saga (in turn allowing me to introduce my father to things he didn't even know existed) and am thorougly enjoying the modern reimaginings of "Yamato 2199."

It's an exciting time to be a Yamato fan and I look forward to sharing this new community with the rest of the Star Force!
    Last edited by YamatoGuru on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    YamatoGuru
    Cadet

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 am

• Hi there! I'm CDR Hoagy. I live in the Seattle-Tacoma area. I watched the Original Series and the Comet Empire Series back when it was first shown on KAYU in Spokane, WA in the late 70's-early 80's. It wasn't until many years later that I found out about the Bolar Wars. I went to the original Star Blazers fan page many years after that. I was fascinated by all the news about the Yamato that has happened in the time being.

I'm looking forward to see what this site has to offer in the future!
    CDR Hoagy
    Cadet

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:36 am

• YamatoGuru wrote:Greetings all! I am YamatoGuru, many of you may best know me best from my YouTube channel where I've uploaded videos featuring Tim Eldred's exciting "Star Blazers Rebirth" web comic set to classic Yamato music. !

Thought I'd let you know that your YouTube videos were my introduction to the Star Blazers comics. It was through them that I found the Star Blazer fan site that evolved into this site.

Thank you!
    CDR Hoagy
    Cadet

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 am

• Hi!
    I'm Francesca, but nearly everywhere I'n knew as Juzo-kun, JK as short.

I'm from Itay, I've seen Star Blazers the first time it was broadcasted here in Italy in 1980 (the American version, dubbed) and was a fan ever since. I tried to follow every info I could since I was able to put my hand on a internet connected computer... in 1995 or so!

What also to say? Uhm... I draw, and recently I restarted to draw Yamato fanart after a massive inspiration and skill block that kept me behind. I might spam mainly the Holodeck forum :-)

Thanks to Tim Eldred and the others to keep the interest high with their continuous work!

[Apologies in advance for my less than stellar English. I know my limits and if anyone feels like correcting me on a blunder, feel free to point to me.]
    "Siamo qui per salvare la nostra amata Terra,
    non per dichiarare guerra al resto dell'universo."
    Juzo-kun
    Cadet

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:32 pm

• Hi, I'm Frederick Kopetz, aka "Freddo"-old fan since about 1980. I'm so old my hair is starting to go grey. :D I first saw the show in the suburbs of Philly around 1980, and I still live in Philly (after life took me to New York for a few years). Salute to everyone, and thanks to Tim Eldred for starting this forum.
    freddok
    Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Third Bridge

Information