How big is the Yamato/Argo?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 pm

• There is an official source for the original length being 333 meters. You can find it in the Silver books, and also in the lighter versions that were republished later. It's on the first mecha design page devoted to Domel's saucer. Yamato's length is indicated as 333m and the saucer's as 80m. Both are shown in profile. As far as I can tell, the diagram was done because it was the first time in Series 1 that two ships came into such close contact. (The second being the ramming in Episode 26.)

The first time we saw the figure of 265m was in promo materials for the '77 movie. You can trust me on that one.

According to Izubuchi (in one of his many interviews) it was a complete coincidence that the number 333 was arrived at again, but it probably says more about Studio Nue's expertise than mere chance.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:19 pm

• ATARI (bullseye)! I knew I *had* seen it somewhere!! Thanks a ton, Tim — I have the Silver Books (special ordered from the San Francisco Kinokuniya way back in 1979) and the softcover editions!

All hail Studio Nue!
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:15 am

• *flip flip flip flip* Well, sonnoffagun, yep. Right there, Yamato Establishment Sheets volume (the Silver Books are just a tad unwieldy for quick reference! :) ) , page 208. But it says 330 meters, not 333. :)

So, anyway, there's another ship length that was listed, and it was from that initial 'Movie' wave, couldn't remember it to save my life. So, back to first sources and...

263 meters! Roman Album #1, page 50.

This gave me some minor proof to explain the slightly 'bobtail' look of the Yamato from first series, compared to the slightly longer look as seen from Arrivererci, Yamato onward. eh, it's thin but it served its purpose for a time. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:50 am

• Check my previous post above your last, Re: 330 meters. :)

Also, on Page 24 of "Yamato Establishment Sheets," it says the Yamato is 265.8 meters long. So, there were minor changes throughout the pre-1974 official publications and data.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:28 am

• August Ragone wrote:Check my previous post above your last, Re: 330 meters. :)

Also, on Page 24 of "Yamato Establishment Sheets," it says the Yamato is 265.8 meters long. So, there were minor changes throughout the pre-1974 official publications and data.

Yeah, there wasn't any question on the 265.8 meter length, I think Tim just short-hands it, as I've not seen anything call out the flat 265.

Ya know, looking at all the stuff in the 'Earth' book, it's so funny how as hard as they tried, they STILL ran into impossible choices. I have no clue how the wings work now other than compact telescoping panels, there's still not enough room for it. And the aft missiles are a complete mistake because they would intrude into the fighter bay. And a burn-through of the WMn Barrier at that point would likely completely take out the entire bay.

But so what. 98% worked out. I can live with it.

Mind, there's no possible way for them to add a 'Cosmo Hound' style Warp Pinnace the way it was done in Yamato III. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:58 am

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:27 am

• In Resurrection they have the Shinano missile boat tucked in the underside of the ship under what would be in Yamato 2199, the Autopilot room.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 am

• Ithekro wrote:In Resurrection they have the Shinano missile boat tucked in the underside of the ship under what would be in Yamato 2199, the Autopilot room.

Well, yes, but at this point shouldn't we understand that there are now Two Yamatos, Classic and 2199? The future for 2199 is completely unwritten.

I'll politely dance around my no-doubt odd to some belief that Final Yamato and Yamato: Resurrection don't actually exist. :) (I consider them both 'entertainment' in the future, fictional movies made about the 'real' Yamato. Think the same way that the U.S.S. Nimitz, a real U.S. Navy nuclear aircraft carrier, was the 'star' of the movie 'The Final Countdown'. )
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm

• I'd like to know what documents the Yamato Museum in Kure have. Whatever they found regarding the building of the ship is of extreme interest!
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

PreviousNext

Return to Third Bridge

Information