SBY2199 Movie: The Ark of The Stars discussion

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***

• Hi everyone,

I thought that since we have a release date and a title for the Yamato 2199 movie, The Ark of the Stars, there is likely to be a lot of speculation on what the movie is going to be about.

For the facts we know, please see the global post on the topic here.

As Yutaka Izubuchi has stipulated that the "Space Battleship Yamato 2199" is in the title for a reason, i.e. it tells of the journey to Iscandar, please keep in mind this will be the main scope of the movie and keep it within those bounds.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

• I'll volunteer a first theory on the movie: the timeframe I feel it is likely to be set in.

The background image on Yamato2199.net is in itself a big hint (for an unobstructed version, please see here).

Points of Note:
    • The Large Magellanic Cloud is in the background;
    • Yamato is portrayed moving away from it;
    • The muzzle of the Wave Motion Gun is not visible.

If this is meant to be indicative of the movie, then it's a safe bet to say it will chronicle events that take place on the return journey from Iscandar to Balan, i.e. that two-month period between the end of Episode 24 and the start of Episode 25 that Yuria refers to at the start of the latter episode.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

• I'll tell you what I hope it ISN'T, my greatest fear.

Consider what might be the generally accepted concept of what 'Ark' means.

If the movie is about cute girls doing cute things in order to snag a man, I will completely lose all faith in Izubuchi.

Yamato 2199: the dating sim has no appeal to me.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

• I'm more content to wait and see what it's about. For me, a close-up image of the Yamato in space isn't enough for me to hazard even a speculation. I know it's fun to do that, but to get any preconveived notions in my head will only lead to disappointment in the final product.

Anyway, they've done a fine job on 2199 so far, but I can't even think they will meet that target release date spot on, either. I have some faith in the team that I'd rather they do a quality product instead of rushing something to meet a date, even if it does something to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the franchise (which would be my one and only expectation about its plot).

It could be fun to see more of some of the alien characters like Frakken or Ditz, and what they do after Desslok goes missing, if that's the route the producers go.
    ihphobby
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Additional information includes the word, "Gatlantis".
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Ithekro wrote:Additional information includes the word, "Gatlantis".

The trailer for the compilation movie Voyage of Recollection, which includes a teaser for The Ark of The Stars, can be found here.

The line "aratanaru teki... Gatlantis" is quoted by Kodai ("A new enemy... Gatlantis!").

Yamato 2199.net has a lot of updated information, and a new background image, the same one as used in the teaser.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

• Sounds like a great introduction movie so that they can perhaps then remake the 2nd series for 2015 or 2016?
    rayyorkie
    Cadet

• rayyorkie wrote:Sounds like a great introduction movie so that they can perhaps then remake the 2nd series for 2015 or 2016?

I think there's a very good chance that's what they're planning. They're bringing in Gatlantis into contact with Terrans for the first time so they know of their existence. Plus a nationwide movie release of 90 cinemas and the associated merchandise sales will help finance such a remake.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

• Also potentally fuel a second Yamato-mania.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

• The thing will be seeing what ships the Comet Empire uses against Yamato and the Gamilas in the film. There are the three ships we've seen, which as being made into model kits later in the year. But will they also use the battleships and other ships we saw in the original second series?
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Next

Return to Second Bridge

Information