Vol. 7 Discussion (Spoilers)

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:37 am

• Ok just finished watching Volume 7, and had a couple of Questions , a few observations etc.

Ep. 23

Nice wrap up of the Garmilas section of our story and they stayed true to the other Yamato Meme, since the wave-motion shields mostly prevent the 3rd Bridge meme. (The other meme being that any alien guys who fall in love with Yuki, die)

It shows how much Desler has lost it, He really has lost sight of his original goal and at least they made sure to show how he escaped the first one.

Ep. 24

This episode was the episode I have the most questions about, if anyone wants to share their insight on it.

-First Question, If Yuki is Yurisha's Other Self does that mean Yurisha created Yuki? That she basically created an Earth Equivalent of an Iscandarian, so to speak?

-Second Question Starsha says "She" stopped by, I'm assuming that she's talking about Teresa / Trelaina, is that what you all thought as well?

-Was worried that Mamoru wasn't going to be able to hold up his rep as a man and a sailor, but He keeps both his man and sailor cards, at the end.

Ep.25

Desler really is unredeemable, I think that was the whole point with the encounter with Celestra on the Yamato. Yuki tries to stop her from killing herself but has an Epic fail. I'm cool with Desler staying dead and forging some new ground if when we get the Gatlantis / Comet Empire storyline.

Ep. 26

Ok Yuki's body dies, but the Flowers Yurisha gave her + some help from the cosmo reverser system and Mamoru regenerate her body? (Still kind of Funny that in the original She uses it to save the crew, and here it's used to save her.)

-I also get that Okita is the "Mind" behind the cosmo Reverser system when it reboots , after Mamoru saves Yuki.

-I liked the whole Makoto and Kato romance throughout the show, It starts in Ep. 7 with the "Line Crossing" Party and you kept getting some bits with them in the later episodes to show that the relationship is advancing.

-Kodai shows that he has what it takes to be Captain, Here he is dying inside, and he still tries to keep everyone else's spirits up. Only the people he's close too, Shima and Akira, notice what's really going on.

All in all I thought the series as a whole was great, It respected the original and forged enough new ground to make it stand on it's own. I can't gush enough about how good this show was. Sorry for the ramble, I'm done.
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:26 am

• Hey 'Ranger. I just got to the boards the other day, and was hoping for posts like yours. I'll give you my opinion, though I may not have any answers for you.

Series5Ranger wrote:Ok just finished watching Volume 7, and had a couple of Questions , a few observations etc.

Ep. 23

Nice wrap up of the Garmilas section of our story and they stayed true to the other Yamato Meme, since the wave-motion shields mostly prevent the 3rd Bridge meme. (The other meme being that any alien guys who fall in love with Yuki, die)

It shows how much Desler has lost it, He really has lost sight of his original goal and at least they made sure to show how he escaped the first one.

I think the Garmilas section is all done for now, but the empire is in shambles, and I'm excited to see how things get sorted out in the future. I'm betting the Gatlantis people will take root, and we'll see that Garmilas was actually keeping them in check, and now without a strong Garmilas front, the Gatlantians are going to rampage across the galaxy. I'll comment on Dessler below...

Series5Ranger wrote:Ep. 24

This episode was the episode I have the most questions about, if anyone wants to share their insight on it.

-First Question, If Yuki is Yurisha's Other Self does that mean Yurisha created Yuki? That she basically created an Earth Equivalent of an Iscandarian, so to speak?

I think Yurisha was only speaking metaphorically. Yurisha and Yuki have a strikingly similar appearance, well, arguably I guess Yuki is strikingly similar to the whole Iscandar family. For a short time, Yuki was Yurisha, and even after Dessler saw through this, he still used her likeness to represent Yurisha. I think Yuki is entrely an Earthling, and there is only a remarkable coincidence that the two (three?) are similar in appearance.

Series5Ranger wrote:-Second Question Starsha says "She" stopped by, I'm assuming that she's talking about Teresa / Trelaina, is that what you all thought as well?

I believe she was talking about Kaoru Niimi, who I am guessing Mamoru Kodai talked about during his time with Starsha. The conversation, I imagine, would be basically along the lines of telling a new love about an old love that you knew you would never see again, and had lost forever. Like a "tell me about your first love" kind of conversation.

Series5Ranger wrote:-Was worried that Mamoru wasn't going to be able to hold up his rep as a man and a sailor, but He keeps both his man and sailor cards, at the end.

Hope my last comment about him didn't remove his man cards.

I'd like to understand better what exactly happened on Iscandar to render a planet so lush, beautiful, well maintained, and yet all without people. I understand Starsha has robots that run the planet, but exactly what happened to the people and why?

Series5Ranger wrote:Ep.25

Desler really is unredeemable, I think that was the whole point with the encounter with Celestra on the Yamato. Yuki tries to stop her from killing herself but has an Epic fail. I'm cool with Desler staying dead and forging some new ground if when we get the Gatlantis / Comet Empire storyline.

I think they've got a challenge here. I realize Dessler's (classic) redemption comes entirely within the Comet Empire story, but in the original series, I don't think Dessler was such a monster. He's done things (or tried to) in 2199 that are maniacal and unforgivable. I think in the original series, we could understand his motive... his planet was dying and he needed a new home for his people. He wanted Gamilas (the people) to survive. In 2199, he is trying to unite the galaxy with himself as supreme ruler... not a lot there I see as noble. I do hope to see a redemption of his character if a 2199 Series 2 moves forward, but it's going to be a steep climb I think. Dude is nuts.

Series5Ranger wrote:Ep. 26

Ok Yuki's body dies, but the Flowers Yurisha gave her + some help from the cosmo reverser system and Mamoru regenerate her body? (Still kind of Funny that in the original She uses it to save the crew, and here it's used to save her.)

I've found a lot of 2199 stuff is "different but the same" and love it. As for Yuki's resurrection, I kinda just hit the "I believe" button here. Sanada mentions something about advanced technology being magic, and I think that's the best explaination we're going to get. I am choosing to believe that Dr. Sado was able to heal (stitch back together) her wounded body (external and internal injuries) but because of the blood loss and other strains she had been through, her body just couldn't recover. I think the flowers are, again, only metaphorical, and what saved her was Momoru activating the CRS... which to me looked like it was hooked up to the Autonav system in some way. Had Yuki NOT been in the pod, I do not believe she could have received this healing. That's my chosen belief, I guess.

Series5Ranger wrote:-I also get that Okita is the "Mind" behind the cosmo Reverser system when it reboots , after Mamoru saves Yuki.

Perhaps a better term would be "soul" instead of "mind" but I don't mean to split hairs. It seems to me the Iscandarians have developed a technology that allows them to contain and use the energy potential of living souls. Maybe the more "life experiences" (or some such) the more potent the energy.

Series5Ranger wrote:-I liked the whole Makoto and Kato romance throughout the show, It starts in Ep. 7 with the "Line Crossing" Party and you kept getting some bits with them in the later episodes to show that the relationship is advancing.

-Kodai shows that he has what it takes to be Captain, Here he is dying inside, and he still tries to keep everyone else's spirits up. Only the people he's close too, Shima and Akira, notice what's really going on.

All in all I thought the series as a whole was great, It respected the original and forged enough new ground to make it stand on it's own. I can't gush enough about how good this show was. Sorry for the ramble, I'm done.

Loved the Makato/Kato romance angle as well, including how it was so subtle throughout and completed with wedding and baby news. There seems to be a real reaction when she calls him "sabu" but I don't understand why... is that short for his first name? Or is "Sabu" some kind of term of endearment?

I'm kinda glad there was universally less "mopey" Kodai throughout the series. He seems a stronger person in 2199, but I think a lot of his personality bits were given to Yamamoto.

Glad you enjoyed it, I loved it, and hope to see more. One of these days I hope to get ahold of the Bluerays, but I just can't justify the costs involved. No worries, if it's meant to be I'll have them.
    Tevanos
    Cadet

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:15 am

• Series5Ranger wrote:Ok just finished watching Volume 7, and had a couple of Questions , a few observations etc.

Ep. 23

For me, the fact that Yamato saved Baleras rather than destroying it this time around opened up so many paths the story could take should a Yamato 2 remake occur.

Series5Ranger wrote:Ep. 24

I'm not sure. This one really is hurting my brain. Right at this moment, I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series through again to analyse the whole Yuki storyline. There are a number of ideas running around my head at the moment, and none of them feel quite right to explain the whole thing.

Series5Ranger wrote:-Second Question Starsha says "She" stopped by, I'm assuming that she's talking about Teresa / Trelaina, is that what you all thought as well?

She's talking about Kaoru, mentioning that Niimi was in the party that she received, with Sanada, Yurisha, Kodai and Yuki. She's talking to Mamoru's soul/memories, after all.

Series5Ranger wrote:Ep.25

I really see them bringing him back like they did in Yamato 2 - he's too popular a character to kill off, and having the added incentive of watching his empire crumble around him would make an interesting alliance with Zordar.

Series5Ranger wrote:Ep 26.

The flowers seem to bloom when the Cosmo Reverse System activates. They seem to focus on Kodai's jacket sleeve falling in the fluorescent liquid in the chamber and the Blue Crystal flowers immediately thereafter, suggesting some connection but there's no connection directly from that to the flowers. They symbolise hidden life, so maybe it's purely a symbolic thing.

Series5Ranger wrote:-I also get that Okita is the "Mind" behind the cosmo Reverser system when it reboots , after Mamoru saves Yuki.

I think it's more the soul of the person (which includes the memories). This way Okita becomes the soul of the Yamato, which I think is what they're aiming at.

Series5Ranger wrote:-I liked the whole Makoto and Kato romance throughout the show, It starts in Ep. 7 with the "Line Crossing" Party and you kept getting some bits with them in the later episodes to show that the relationship is advancing.

That's the first time they show interest in each other, for sure... but for me, just as fun and important are those interactions where she's bandaging up his fist after he bruises it punching Kodai (Ep2), Shima (also Ep2), and Locker-san (Ep 5) ;)

Series5Ranger wrote:-Kodai shows that he has what it takes to be Captain, Here he is dying inside, and he still tries to keep everyone else's spirits up. Only the people he's close to, Shima and Akira, notice what's really going on.

I think Kato and Makoto both notice as well.

Series5Ranger wrote:All in all I thought the series as a whole was great, It respected the original and forged enough new ground to make it stand on it's own. I can't gush enough about how good this show was. Sorry for the ramble, I'm done.

Not at all. Always good to hear someone's observations about the show.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:24 pm

• Forgot to add one thing... I like how Kodai's "Harem" (Akira, Melda and Yurisha) all gather together when he goes to save Yuki....
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:13 am

• One thing both Luis Cotovio and myself picked up was the scene where the pilots are fighting off the Garmilloids and Shino and Akira show up with a huge-ass gun. We then rememebred where they got this gun - it was one of the cannons off Kodai's Zero! Nice little improvisation there.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Return to Second Bridge

Information