Wish list for new projects

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:43 pm

• Series5Ranger wrote:Yes but the point is, by Yamato III it's been played out. and the "Let's kill every single new crew member we introduce" turned me off on it as well.

Number of new crew members introduced in Yamato III: 10

Number of new crew members killed: 3 (Ageha, Domon, Hirata)

Your opinion is your own, but make sure it squares with the math.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:53 pm

• Todd S wrote:A really good Board Game, or a return of Fleet Battles.

Agreed.
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:29 am

• Tim Eldred wrote:
    Series5Ranger wrote:Yes but the point is, by Yamato III it's been played out. and the "Let's kill every single new crew member we introduce" turned me off on it as well.

Number of new crew members introduced in Yamato III: 10

Number of new crew members killed: 3 (Ageha, Domon, Hirata)

Your opinion is your own, but make sure it squares with the math.

Hyperbole aside, I agree with him. As long as we're breaking out the calculator, how about calculating how much screen time and dialogue the remaining seven got? Out of the 10, Domon got the most development by a wide margin, followed by Ageha, and both died heroic deaths at the climax (following the pattern set by the previous new crewmember, Sasha, in Be Forever.) Hirata was killed to further along Domon's story arc. The surviving newbies were not much more than talking wallpaper. They survived Yamato III, only to be ignored for the bulk of Final Yamato. A few of them appeared only during the post-credit beach scene, (and politely faded away before Kodai and Yuki started making sloppy).

Nishizaki was a cruel and wanton god, and he demanded sacrifice. He even resurrected his first born, Okita, just so he could kill him again!

HS
    Hardy Shinohara
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:52 am

• Those are all fair points, but it can't be overlooked that it wasn't the original plan. I'm sure you're aware that Yamato III was originally meant to last for a full year, and everyone involved was heartbroken when all the episodes that would have been spent developing those secondary and tertiary characters were wiped from the slate. I personally think Yamato III could have been a real masterpiece had it run its full course, and the Bolar Wars webcomic is my own testament to that.

Taking that context into account, I look at the series as an incomplete story. I went into greater depth on that here:
    http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/733/ ...and so will not repeat myself.

As for Final Yamato, I don't think anyone considers it Nishizaki's finest hour, but though I originally considered it a giant misfire, I've developed greater respect as I've worked through the story development and the various interviews presented in the Final Yamato Time Machine. It's still not the movie I would have made, but I like it more now that I have a better understanding of the intent behind it.

Whatever your feeling, it's going to be with us for all time. Best to look for the positives.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:53 am

• Hardy Shinohara wrote:Nishizaki was a cruel and wanton god, and he demanded sacrifice. He even resurrected his first born, Okita, just so he could kill him again!

THAT, by the way, is hyperbole. Read the 1982 interviews, and you will find nothing of the kind in them.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:31 pm

• Tim Eldred wrote:Those are all fair points, but it can't be overlooked that it wasn't the original plan.

Yeah but I'm just going by what we did get, and sorry about not remembering the other new crew members, it's been a while since I've seen Bolar Wars. I'll have to watch it again sometime to make sure I'm just not letting my memories of it cloud my judgement.
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 am

• As someone who works in the animation biz, I can tell you that one of the inescapable hardships is that limitations are always being placed upon you by outside forces, almost entirely motivated by lack of faith or money. Lack of faith (motivated by ratings panic) was the reason half the Bolar Wars series was cancelled by the network, so they should get the bulk of the blame for it.

It's true you can blame the creators for putting something in you didn't like, but they can't be blamed for what was taken away from them. I feel an enormous amount of sympathy for them, and I feel it's important that their situation is understood. To a man, they all profoundly regret what was lost.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:52 pm

• As a curiosity thing, what about the female uniforms for the Combat and Engineering Divisions? I think those were the only two departments were we did now see a woman. We got a taste I think in Melda wearing a red Yamato swimsuit, as that is probably the Combat Division swimsuit. But what of Engineering? How would they make if so it isn't confused with the Services Departments (like was Yuria wears and what Yamamoto started out wearing). A lighter orange? A non-bodysuit uniform (something with pockets to be practical for engineering work)?
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 am

• I've been thinking about a possible second series. If it follows like the original version of events than the series would start with Kodai returning to Earth from a long patrol in time to see Andromeda launch, which happens to be on the anniversary of Yamato's return to Earth.

With the changes in Yamato 2199, that would place this date as December 8th, 2201. Two years after Yamato returns to Earth. This would give them more time to rebuild while not pushing the timeline forward much. The majority of the series would probably take place in 2202, depending on how long it takes to get to Telezart and back. I'd figure they would attempt more symbolism with dates again. Having the start on the date Yamato returned to Earth being episode one, and perhaps the final episodes being on or around the date Yamato left Earth (February 12th). Or if they want the timeline to be a bit longer, take it out to either April 7th (date the IJN Yamato sank) or June 4th for the Battle of Saturn to mimic the Battle of Midway.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:47 am

• Top 10 things I would like to see in future Yamato media:

10. Bee People
    9. Space Fireflies
    8. Sandor exploding his limbs with his teeth
    7. Miss Efficiency
    6. Knox getting out right behind somebody
    5. Analyzer/Yuki sexual harassment
    4. Space Battleship Andromeda
    3. The organist onboard Gatlantis. (Hey, the guy was good.)
    2. Commander Goer (i.e. Volgar) joining the crew of the Yamato as a zany "Dr. Smith"-type character
    1. SASHA / ASTRA

And of course, #0: I wish that Derek were alive to see all this.
    BruceLewis
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Previous

Return to Second Bridge

Information