Spaceships of the Gamilus Empire

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 pm

• A topic about Gamilus spaceships.

The Gamilus Fleet has a large number of ships, and types ranging from destroyers to battleships. Most of the fleet is made up of thousands of destroyers with a large number of high speed cruisers and heavy cruisers making up the remainder of the majority. There are a few battlecruisers and battleships here and there and some carriers of one type or another.

Also in this mix is the Imperal Guard Fleet with there blue painted ships. They seem to have the basic types of ships with a lot of one type of carrier and a small number of battlecruisers and battleships. Dessler's ships seem to fall into this catagory, though the "eyes" on his ships seem more standard while the rest of the Imperial Guard ships are pink in color.

Talk about them, or describe them as you see them.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:12 pm

• One ship that is missing from the lineup is the old "high speed destroyer". This ship appeared in the same episode that introduced Dommel's fleet battleship to us. This was the ship that fired on Yamato before Dommel's fleet arrive in the original version of episode 15. Nothing in particular takes its place in the Yamato 2199 series. The task in the new version of events n Yamato 2199 is filled by a high speed cruiser and a destroyer. Unless its role was actually replaced by the new designed battlecruiser. That would nt entirely may sense, but the original episode had Yamato trapped in an alternated dimention, and in Yamato 2199's episode 10, they are trapped with a battlecruiser.

Make what you will of it.

(source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=38375323)
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 pm

• Another thing to question is just how large and powerful is Dessler's new flagship seen in episodes 23 and 25? We can get some sense of scale, but it is hard to gauge the power of the Dessler Cannon and the relative power output of the engines.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:07 am

• Ithekro wrote:Another thing to question is just how large and powerful is Dessler's new flagship seen in episodes 23 and 25? We can get some sense of scale, but it is hard to gauge the power of the Dessler Cannon and the relative power output of the engines.

The gun appeared to be powerful enough to at least critically damage that Saturn-like planet (though we don't know how big that planet is really). The Garmillas design book which is due to come out later in the year should bring more information to light as to its yield, but the beam was large enough to have enveloped the Yamato completely had she not evaded like she did. It's hard to say how much damage was done to the planet the beam hit, but it was enough to ignite the gases on the planet and disperse them outside the planet's atmosphere and gravity well, as we see Yamato cruising through the gases.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:26 am

• Well Dessler's Gun certainly has interplanetary range while within the floating city. Even if L1 point between Iscandar and Gamillas was as close to the fifth planet in the system as Earth is to Venus at closest approach, that is still something like 40 million kilometers. That's firing a weapon at over two light-minutes distance. And that's not even a AU (about eight light-minutes distance) which would be the distance from the Earth to the Sun, and about the distance between Mars and Jupiter at close approach, or about 150 million kilometers (93 million miles). That takes a lot of power.

Yuria was scanning her radar out to 50 light-second when she spotted the energy beam coming at them. Assuming the beam travels at something less than light speed, that gives them several seconds to dodge it. Even if it is going at light speed and their radar is faster than light for some reason, that is still several seconds to evade.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:39 pm

• A question came up on anoter forum. How many fighters can a Gamilas Meltoria Class battlecruiser carry?

I guess I have to ask the followup question. How many fighters can Gamilas carriers carry? The only numbers we have are for the specific carriers at the Rainbow Cluster fight, and those were likely not standard.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm

• Ithekro wrote:A question came up on anoter forum. How many fighters can a Gamilas Meltoria Class battlecruiser carry?

I guess I have to ask the followup question. How many fighters can Gamilas carriers carry? The only numbers we have are for the specific carriers at the Rainbow Cluster fight, and those were likely not standard.

I'm guessing it would vary depending on the carrier type and the aircraft type. I'm hopeful that the Garmillas design book coming out at the end of October/early November will be able to answer this.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:51 pm

• I've never bothered to think about how many planes the carriers carry. I do know they carry enough to cause concern on the bridge of Yamato!
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:48 pm

• We know what the carriers at the Rainbow Cluster battle had onboard, though not all were used in combat.

The Green carrier had 57 fighters. Of which we see a little over 30 in formation.

The Purple carrier has 57 "dive" bombers. Of which we see that 50 are SMITEd to Yamato.

The Blue carrier has 36 torpedo bombers. Of which probably all are used, 18 per side of Yamato.

The Battle Carrier has just the heavy bomber. We saw its fate. One assumes that carrier can carry more than that but didn't for some reason.

There was also a recon plane out there, but no word which ship that was from.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm

• Ithekro wrote:We know what the carriers at the Rainbow Cluster battle had onboard, though not all were used in combat.

The Green carrier had 57 fighters. Of which we see a little over 30 in formation.

The Purple carrier has 57 "dive" bombers. Of which we see that 50 are SMITEd to Yamato.

The Blue carrier has 36 torpedo bombers. Of which probably all are used, 18 per side of Yamato.

The Battle Carrier has just the heavy bomber. We saw its fate. One assumes that carrier can carry more than that but didn't for some reason.

There was also a recon plane out there, but no word which ship that was from.

I'm curious as to whether this was just multiple visual references on the total numbers, or there's source material identifying how many were aboard altogether (I haven't gone through the various Great Mechanics DX, Hobby Japan or Dengeki Hobby magazines with a fine-toothed comb yet, and the 2199.net mecha page has no details on any of Domel's carriers or planes. With three/four decks for the three carriers other than the Daurold, they could potentially store a larger number of aircraft altogether. On Garmillas, we see the following on the top half-length flight deck on each of the four-deck carriers:

Balgrey (Green): 15 DWG109 Fighters
    Lambea (Purple): 15 DWB87 Divebombers
    Shderg (Blue): 12 FWG97 Heavy Torpedo bombers (which are notably larger in fuselage size and length than the other fighters but wingspan isn't significantly higher).

It should be noted that all these ships are the same base class, but there are hull differences all the same: Lambea has an angled flight deck on the top level sticking out to port; Shderg has a slight overhang on the starboard side of the uppermost flight deck; and Balgrey appears to be slightly longer and shorter than the other two ships and has a leading edges of the flight decks in a double-chevron design, but has the Lambea's angled flight deck. These ships also appear to be comparable in size to the Domelus III, which is over 700 metres long. Since a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier can accommodate over 60 aircraft and is only twin-deck with half the length of these ships, I would think that these ships could easily operate a couple of hundred aircraft each and transport many more than that if they utilised all four flight decks (maybe reduce that by 25-30% if the lower deck is kept clear for aircraft recovery purposes).

As for the Daurold, it's a smaller ship than the other three, being a hybrid purpose ship. I'll be interested to see when the Garmillas design book comes out, what its capacity is and where aircraft are stowed with those flight decks that flip into cannon turrets.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

Next

Return to Second Bridge

Information