New 2199 Theatrical Movie

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 am

• Any ideas on what that new theatrical movie could be about?
    I just hope it isn't some crammed Comet Empire thing so we get a full series out of that.
    JohnStanowski
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 am

• They won't do that. I seriously doubt Izubuchi would even consider doing Yamato 2 such an injustice. There has been considerable speculation about what this movie could contain - it might be:

• A chapter in the prequel OVAs Yutaka Izubuchi mentioned an interest in directing;
    • An epilogue movie to 2199 to bridge the gap to a potential Yamato 2/Comet Empire remake; or
    • A 2199 side-story, for example the story told from a different point of view, or a completely different, parallel story which covers events that aren't directly crossed by the crew of the Yamato.

For the next few months, it will all be speculation until facts start appearing.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 pm

• It seems obvious that Izubuchi has laid some deep groundwork for future productions. Just the political situation within the Gamilas Empire could be a series all on its own.

I lean towards the theory that Izubuchi is going to get his prequel film, the early days of the war, the Battle of Mars and all that. I can easily see Bandai supporting that, given the high investment they've made in tooling for the model kits.

A new version of Yamato 2, likely NOT called Yamato 2201, has a ton of potential.

We're all pretty much assuming Desslar survived, aren't we? :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:03 am

• I'm hoping for the prequel. I've always thought it would be fun to go back and explore the situations leading up to 2199. I've always found Commander Todo to be one of the most likable side characters, something like this could give us a chance to see more of his character as he came up through the ranks of the EDF. Another interesting thing a movie like this could explore is the relationship between Okita and his son. There's always that photograph but we still know so little about him.
    YamatoGuru
    Cadet

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:55 pm

• Any of the options on the table are fine with me, but it would be REALLY interesting if they were to do a Gamilas vs. Gatlantis story set during 2199 that fleshed out both sides of that conflict. Plus, it would absorb some of the design cost of a second series and give Bandai some new mecha to chew on. Either way, Yamatour 2014 is a no-brainer.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 pm

• Tim Eldred wrote:Any of the options on the table are fine with me, but it would be REALLY interesting if they were to do a Gamilas vs. Gatlantis story set during 2199 that fleshed out both sides of that conflict. Plus, it would absorb some of the design cost of a second series and give Bandai some new mecha to chew on. Either way, Yamatour 2014 is a no-brainer.

So, in a way, we would be talking about a combo of (conceptually) Arrivederci, Yamato and 'reverse' Yamato the New Journey (minus Yamato?) approach, in effect a prequel to Not-Yamato 2201.

(sidebar. *sigh* I realize I'm speaking shorthand here and I know Tim would automatically fill in the blanks, but I just know... OK, attend. By 'Arrivederci, Yamato' pattern I am alluding to how that movie was re-purposed to the Yamato 2 TV series-characters altho the art was altered, ships, key story points, etc. By 'New Journey' I refer to how that telefilm was used as a intro-prolog for the Dark Nebula Empire which were the key antagonists in the Be Forever Yamato feature film. I think that covers the context and should avoid confusion)

They introduce the Comet Empire, outline the threat, define the elements via how Gamilas sees themselves as defending the 'home land' (Milky Way and environs) and finish with a big "The End ?" or some such.

This then gives a movie budget to pre-production work, the models for all the characters and most of the ships are now 'in the system' and zoop, second series has their entire production process in place.

From a purely logistics point of view that seems to make a ton of sense.

OTOH doing the Battle of Mars requires very little in additional resources and lets Bandai rebrand existing kits to expand the return on investment for the tooling. Not that I think they're in any danger of their Yamato 2199 kit line being in the red, all info suggests it's been more successful than the last couple of Gundam projects (and boy I bet that irks some of the suits no end :) ).

Isn't it interesting to be here now, on the bleeding edge of NEW YAMATO STUFF, where we have NO clue what happens next? Must have been like this in Japan circa 1978. The only shame would be if it all just stops, because Voyager/Tohokushinsha/Bandai Visual collectively get cold feet.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:24 pm

• I'm sure "the suits" at Bandai are happy to have a successful line of anything, and if there is any competition there between Gundam and Yamato, it's at the craftsmanship level.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:42 pm

• Tim Eldred wrote:Any of the options on the table are fine with me, but it would be REALLY interesting if they were to do a Gamilas vs. Gatlantis story set during 2199 that fleshed out both sides of that conflict. Plus, it would absorb some of the design cost of a second series and give Bandai some new mecha to chew on. Either way, Yamatour 2014 is a no-brainer.

For me, it'll depend on the timing. If I did go though, it would realisitcally be an overnight trip for me. Either that or another week in Kyoto with a day trip to Tokyo to catch the film at the Piccadilly.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18 am

• A Gamilus vs. Gatlantis film set after Dommel left the front lines, or even after Yamato left Iscandar would fit in nicely.

They would still have some production issues for the Earth ships and crews, but they could also put some of that in as a "meanwhile on Earth" section just to get the design work done on that as well...and give us a taste of what is to come. In both Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato and Yamato 2, the Space Battleship Andromeda was completed at the very beginning of the story. However other ships were already in service. Yamato had either been retired, or had been on a long mission as the the story begins.

But for a prequel?

One thing I'm sort of interesting in learning, is the other national fleets within the UNCN. All we have seen is parts of the Far Eastern Regional Fleet ships. All Japanese named ships. We know there are other countries or regions still in the UN by 2199 and some seem to have more resources and power supplies than the Far Eastern Region (Japan and part of Asia I suspect). So in the war...what did the other regions throw at the Gamilas? Did they all use the same three types of ships seen in the Battle of Pluto and the few flashbacks of first contact in 2191, and the departure of the First Fleet for the last campaign of the war in 2198? Do the other nations have better ships that just were destroyed over the course of the eight years of war with Gamilus? That is an interesting question. And one that could get Bandai more money. If the American, European, and others ships are just more of the same with different paint jobs and names in the latin alphabet, then they can sell the same kits again. If the other counties have different (perhaps newer) ships, than those can sell too, just with slightly more production costs.

We have still not seen any of the older Earth ships fire their bow mounted cannons. The background material suggests that was the weapon that stopped the Gamilus advance on Earth. It also resulted in a prolonged siege using Planet Bombs, but still.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:07 am

• Ithekro wrote:We have still not seen any of the older Earth ships fire their bow mounted cannons. The background material suggests that was the weapon that stopped the Gamilus advance on Earth. It also resulted in a prolonged siege using Planet Bombs, but still.

Well that does beg the question: what stopped Garmillas' advance that forced them to use planet bombs? The earth fleet that made first contact with them in 2191 with Okita relieved of command and Shima's father ordered to fire on the enemy by Serizawa was made very short work of, as was the fleet involved in Operation M - their beam weapons had no effect on Garmillas hulls and only torpedoes launched from destroyers like Yukikaze seemed to have any effect. Did Earth have a fleet of warships that held the last ground at Mars before it was decided that bombing the planet was the better course of action? That's the story I'd like to know, myself.

That said, on the side of a bridging story, I'd be interested in three things (please keep in mind I have only seen the theatrical release in completion, I have watched neither 25 nor 26's final cut in their entirety):

(1) The extent of the Gatlantis Empire's intrusion into Garmillan territory. They're merely seen by first Talan and later Berger as barbarians and no match for Garmillas, and the force that Domel's fleet encounters in Episode 15 is relatively small, suggesting it's a reconnaissance force. Perhaps there are numerous advance forces like this scouring the rim of the Garmillas empire for planets that are resource-rich or offer strategic advantage for an in-depth invasion of the Garmillas empire.

(2) The state of play in the Garmillas government. This is one thing that simply didn't exist in the original series continuity. Gamilus was dead and buried. This time, Hyss, Talan the younger, Deitz, and their allies are left with an empire to run. How long before Desler is considered dead, and how long until the rumours pass around the various worlds of the empire, especially those whose people didn't submit willingly? With the likes of Gimleh gone, Admiral Deitz will have his hands full. Also, with Yamato now considered a saviour instead of an enemy by those on Baleras, what is to say that a new government may not only request a truce with Earth, but also offer war reparations, e.g. assisting with any rebuilding that the Cosmo Reverse System doesn't do (which is another forum topic I'm currently trying to word out properly).

(3) The political state of play on Earth, post-restoration. Is there suddenly an urgency to build the space fleet we come to see in Yamato 2/Comet Empire? What are the consequences for Serizawa's involvement in the mutiny aboard Yamato, not to mention for any others complicit in the action (i.e. Kaoru)? Again, the issue of building the UN Cosmo (formerly EDF) fleet - what resources are available? Who's there to man it? What else has to be rebuilt as far as cities and infrastructure go? Unless the Cosmo Reverse System actually restores all cities and infrastructure as well as the organic world, there's a lot of buildings and infrastructure that need to be rebuilt.

Short of it is, there are a lot of characters added on the Garmillas side of things this time around, and they're still available to partake in the future stories in the 2199 universe. If they go the way I see offering the most potential for a really good story-telling re-imagining of Comet Empire, there is plenty of potential for these characters to return. Especially Melda and Yurisha, who have had significant dealings with Yamato during the course of 2199.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

Return to Second Bridge

Information