Off to Uncharted Fanfic Space

A place to post fan fiction and a think tank to discuss ideas.
Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 pm

• BluEnigma wrote:As if Desslok needed another reason not to like the name Wildstar - at least in S1.

^_^

Well, the guys are getting plenty of eye candy in 2199 so I don't think it's really asking much to give some of us the Dessler/Starsha relationship a satisfying resolve. ;) I won't say no to Gamilas eye candy either! :lol:

Well, I wasn't quite referring to that I was speaking more in the sense that we get to see an actual growing relationship instead of the beginning of one and then the brutal cut off.

As for the fanservice stuff... :| I wasn't at all thrilled with it - in fact it's the main reason I won't be buying 2199. I would have been sooooo happy if they had left it out. I found it entirely unnecessary.

Definitely! Gamilon was worse off in the original. If they do a S2 I wonder if a civil war will occur on Gamilas considering Dessler tried to drop a colony onto the city just to get the Yamato? I know Talan and Co. have some serious rebuilding to do, so who knows?

That's a possibility - though by now I think a lot of the population would at least have an inkling that something stinky's going on higher up. But yeah, Talan and his crew have a huge job to do. I hope they succeed. :)

True! I don't know if that's just how they designed the characters in the 70s and the evolution of anime brought that gap to attention. They're both on an even keel age-wise.

That could very well be. I can totally see that.

And that's what makes him such an admirable character: his growth. He makes some really awful choices yet he grows from them and constantly evolves. When he tried to teach the CE generals that lesson they didn't listen or take him seriously. Small wonder he laughed when the SF destroyed them! :)

Indeed. If more people did the same - not necessarily making awful choice on the same scale, mind you - and learned from the mistakes they made, things would be different...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, really. ^_^

Aw, thanks! I've been adjusting to a new work schedule so I haven't had much time to add the other chapters. Hopefully I can do that this weekend. Looking forward to reading your new chapters when you post them! ^_^

Yay! :) And thanks. :) I'm adjusting to a new FT job myself, so I completely understand.
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:35 am

• Well, I wasn't quite referring to that I was speaking more in the sense that we get to see an actual growing relationship instead of the beginning of one and then the brutal cut off.

True! We never get to see the relationship grow. It would be lovely for them to develop that aspect. Then it would add dimensions to NV.

As for the fanservice stuff... :| I wasn't at all thrilled with it - in fact it's the main reason I won't be buying 2199. I would have been sooooo happy if they had left it out. I found it entirely unnecessary.

Here! Here! I understand the marketing ploy, but...meh, not my thing either. It could've stood just fine with the story and the mecha alone. I would love to get a hold of one of the Gamilas design books if only to have it as a reference for writing.

That's a possibility - though by now I think a lot of the population would at least have an inkling that something stinky's going on higher up. But yeah, Talan and his crew have a huge job to do. I hope they succeed. :)

Definitely! Dessler was all set to leave Gamilas and plant the new Gamilas on Iscandar. It pains me to say it but Gamilas will certainly be in better hands. That situation alone is chocked full of plot bunnies! :D

Indeed. If more people did the same - not necessarily making awful choice on the same scale, mind you - and learned from the mistakes they made, things would be different...

So true! With his case it also adds tension. He's a war criminal who has experienced a change of heart. I'm so glad the writers addressed that issue in Y3 when they questioned Wildstar about Desslok and brought up the bombing of Earth. Even though the Star Force accepts Desslok's friendship it's great to have a balance with other people addressing legitimate concerns.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, really. ^_^

It's right up there with Desslok laughing about Talan's 'fool proof' tunnel satellite plan! :D Desslok's voice: "Talan, when it comes to the Star Force there is no such thing as fool proof!" :lol: To be fair if Invidia hadn't interfered then they would've gotten the Star Force...Maybe. :)

Yay! :) And thanks. :) I'm adjusting to a new FT job myself, so I completely understand.

You're welcome! It looks like our muses will need to adjust, too. I planned on writing over the weekend only I was so exhausted I just slept in! ^_^
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat May 03, 2014 1:38 am

• BluEnigma wrote:True! We never get to see the relationship grow. It would be lovely for them to develop that aspect. Then it would add dimensions to NV.

Or - and it really wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if they did it - it might negate NV. 8-)

Here! Here! I understand the marketing ploy, but...meh, not my thing either. It could've stood just fine with the story and the mecha alone. I would love to get a hold of one of the Gamilas design books if only to have it as a reference for writing.

I just really didn't appreciate it. To me it's really disrespectful to the entire female population.

The story and mecha on the other hand were marvelous. A friend of mine actually got one of the Gamilas books and from what I got to see of it, it was pretty great.

Definitely! Dessler was all set to leave Gamilas and plant the new Gamilas on Iscandar. It pains me to say it but Gamilas will certainly be in better hands. That situation alone is chocked full of plot bunnies! :D

'Tis true; 'tis true. ^_^

So true! With his case it also adds tension. He's a war criminal who has experienced a change of heart. I'm so glad the writers addressed that issue in Y3 when they questioned Wildstar about Desslok and brought up the bombing of Earth. Even though the Star Force accepts Desslok's friendship it's great to have a balance with other people addressing legitimate concerns.

I think it's the main reason he's so well remembered and well loved as a character - because he's quite a dynamic character - even (don't listen to this if you're a big fan of Wildstar) surpassing Wildstar in a lot of ways.

And yes, it was good to see some reality there.

It's right up there with Desslok laughing about Talan's 'fool proof' tunnel satellite plan! :D Desslok's voice: "Talan, when it comes to the Star Force there is no such thing as fool proof!" :lol: To be fair if Invidia hadn't interfered then they would've gotten the Star Force...Maybe. :)

:lol: Ah yes, Invidia. I thought it was so funny when I discovered that "Invidia" is the latin word for "jealousy." Really fits her pretty well I'd say.

You're welcome! It looks like our muses will need to adjust, too. I planned on writing over the weekend only I was so exhausted I just slept in! ^_^

Well, mine won't leave me alone. Thankfully I do have lunch breaks when I can outline (or write) bits and pieces here and there so that I don't lose anything during the course of the work day. Also, I have one day of the week consistently off, so I've made that my writing/update day. Best day of the week. ^_^
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat May 10, 2014 6:19 pm

• Or - and it really wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if they did it - it might negate NV. 8-)

So true! Spare Desslok from all of that heartache!

I just really didn't appreciate it. To me it's really disrespectful to the entire female population.

Agreed. I get that they're trying to appeal to 21st century males who watch the show but they crossed the line in several places. It's odd. Because of the 70s styles, the alien males, especially the Gamilons, in the original series looked far more masculine, muscular and athletic than the males in the reboot. I always thought that was because they were this warrior race, so it made sense. Even the majority of Gamilas females in 2199 were styled better than their Terron counterparts. Then again, they have better class, apparently! :D There's an intergalactic commentary in there somewhere! 8-)

The story and mecha on the other hand were marvelous. A friend of mine actually got one of the Gamilas books and from what I got to see of it, it was pretty great.

The story and mecha are amazing and enhanced the original. One of the many reasons why I'd like to see a S2 for Y2199 is to see how they conceptualize the Battle at Saturn. Given what they did with the mecha during the Rainbow Cluster battle...*whistles*. :) I saved enough and ordered the Gamilas book. I was able to find a store state-side that had it in stock at an affordable price w/shipping. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week.

'Tis true; 'tis true. ^_^

I wonder how Talan would feel if he were voted the new 'dessler'? Leader Dessler Talan? Or would they gradually grandfather the empire away from a dictatorship to something better? I remember Ghader Talan being thoroughly disgusted when he heard what Gimleh did to Alteria.

I think it's the main reason he's so well remembered and well loved as a character - because he's quite a dynamic character - even (don't listen to this if you're a big fan of Wildstar) surpassing Wildstar in a lot of ways.

Oh I think Desslok does surpass Wildstar and your story highlights that brilliantly! He's at least one hundred-odd years older than Wildstar and you show us just how much was riding on the young Gamilon's shoulders. Tim does that too. I love the scene he penned in 'Rebirth' where Desslok tells Wildstar what he needs to hear and what he must do. Desslok says that, not as an arrogant leader, but as a friend with an immeasurable dearth of experience.

:lol: Ah yes, Invidia. I thought it was so funny when I discovered that "Invidia" is the latin word for "jealousy." Really fits her pretty well I'd say.

Yes it does! She is jealousy incarnate. I'm quite sure Zordar was considering Desslok to be his son-in-law and Invidia wasn't having any of that! :lol:

Well, mine won't leave me alone. Thankfully I do have lunch breaks when I can outline (or write) bits and pieces here and there so that I don't lose anything during the course of the work day. Also, I have one day of the week consistently off, so I've made that my writing/update day. Best day of the week. ^_^

That's good! Sometimes I'll write ideas or bits on Post-It notes and then put them into my writing NB. LOL! I understand. I think the muses are Gamilons in disguise. ;)
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon May 12, 2014 7:50 pm

• BluEnigma wrote:So true! Spare Desslok from all of that heartache!

Yeah really. 8-)

Agreed. I get that they're trying to appeal to 21st century males who watch the show but they crossed the line in several places.

There are better ways to appeal to an audience of any era and gender. :?

It's odd. Because of the 70s styles, the alien males, especially the Gamilons, in the original series looked far more masculine, muscular and athletic than the males in the reboot. I always thought that was because they were this warrior race, so it made sense. Even the majority of Gamilas females in 2199 were styled better than their Terron counterparts. Then again, they have better class, apparently! :D There's an intergalactic commentary in there somewhere! 8-)

:lol: Yeah, I noticed that too. ^_^

The story and mecha are amazing and enhanced the original. One of the many reasons why I'd like to see a S2 for Y2199 is to see how they conceptualize the Battle at Saturn. Given what they did with the mecha during the Rainbow Cluster battle...*whistles*. :) I saved enough and ordered the Gamilas book. I was able to find a store state-side that had it in stock at an affordable price w/shipping. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week.

Ah yes, that would be an interesting one. I'd love to see them go for all three of the "Star Blazers" seasons (Y1,2, and 3) - including "Bolar Wars" - and see where they'd go with them.

And yes, the Rainbow Cluster incident was astral.

Wow, nice! :o

I wonder how Talan would feel if he were voted the new 'dessler'? Leader Dessler Talan? Or would they gradually grandfather the empire away from a dictatorship to something better? I remember Ghader Talan being thoroughly disgusted when he heard what Gimleh did to Alteria.

I'd vote for that. I think Talan would be a great choice for that position. He's got the strength of character to handle it well.

Oh I think Desslok does surpass Wildstar and your story highlights that brilliantly! He's at least one hundred-odd years older than Wildstar and you show us just how much was riding on the young Gamilon's shoulders. Tim does that too. I love the scene he penned in 'Rebirth' where Desslok tells Wildstar what he needs to hear and what he must do. Desslok says that, not as an arrogant leader, but as a friend with an immeasurable dearth of experience.

:) And there's more to come, as we're only one chapter away from half-time for TROK.

Indeed. I also appreciated Tim's rendering. Sometimes even the heroes (Wildstar) need to be hit on the head with reality, and in that case Desslok was the only one willing and able to do it.

Yes it does! She is jealousy incarnate. I'm quite sure Zordar was considering Desslok to be his son-in-law and Invidia wasn't having any of that! :lol:

:lol: I have a unique rendering of that little Zordar/Desslok/Invidia power-struggle for my AU.

That's good! Sometimes I'll write ideas or bits on Post-It notes and then put them into my writing NB. LOL! I understand. I think the muses are Gamilons in disguise. ;)

Yeah, I always keep a notebook with me at work - for break times. :lol: I've always written to my music - we've been working together for about thirteen years now, in fact. :)

Oh! And on an interesting note, I think I found the last voice actor for Desslok from "Bolar Wars"!
    I was watching "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" with my fiancee a couple days ago. There was one character whose voice I had recognized when I first heard him talk, but I thought it was too good to be true. Then, we watched an episode towards the middle of the first season of GLTAS (the episode name was "Regime Change") and that particular character got a descent amount of voice-time and I'm about 99.9999999% sure that it's him. When you've been hearing a voice for a dozen years, it tends to stick out, even when another face is put to it. ;) The voice actor's name is Brian George: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_George
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm

• Yeah really. 8-)

Too much emotional angst for him in one movie but OTOH we get to see a different emotional side to him.

There are better ways to appeal to an audience of any era and gender. :? ]/quote]

Agreed!

:lol: Yeah, I noticed that too. ^_^

lol. Well we always knew Gamilons were a bit classier, especially Desslok. :D

Ah yes, that would be an interesting one. I'd love to see them go for all three of the "Star Blazers" seasons (Y1,2, and 3) - including "Bolar Wars" - and see where they'd go with them.

That would be nice to see. It would be nice if they could flesh out the bit the Gamilons freeing the Galmans from Bolar slavery and if all the Galmans are really OK with their new leader.

And yes, the Rainbow Cluster incident was astral.

Indeed! And I love how they portrayed Domel. He wasn't as much the arrogant jerk in SB. I actually cried a bit when he addressed Okita in his final message, "As a soldier, no as one man to another..." :cry:

Wow, nice! :o

It's beautiful. I'm going to take a pic of the younger Dessler they have in there with Miezella and Link and post it for you. It's a sketch where he has long hair and only two bars (like SB Desslok) instead of his current three. I'm guessing that was when he rescued the two of them. It made me think of the portrayal you made of him in your story.

I'd vote for that. I think Talan would be a great choice for that position. He's got the strength of character to handle it well.

He does! Ghale Soto Talan! :D

:) And there's more to come, as we're only one chapter away from half-time for TROK.

Hooray! :D

Indeed. I also appreciated Tim's rendering. Sometimes even the heroes (Wildstar) need to be hit on the head with reality, and in that case Desslok was the only one willing and able to do it.

They do complement each other in that regard. Wildstar wasn't afraid to chastise Desslok on his dependence on massive weaponry and the failure of science to control nature (Bolar Wars). Anyone else would've been shot for questioning the Big D. Desslok returns the favor when he sees his friend going way off course.

:lol: I have a unique rendering of that little Zordar/Desslok/Invidia power-struggle for my AU.

Can't wait to read that!

Yeah, I always keep a notebook with me at work - for break times. :lol: I've always written to my music - we've been working together for about thirteen years now, in fact. :)

lol! Music definitely helps! ;)

Oh! And on an interesting note, I think I found the last voice actor for Desslok from "Bolar Wars"!
    I was watching "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" with my fiancee a couple days ago. There was one character whose voice I had recognized when I first heard him talk, but I thought it was too good to be true. Then, we watched an episode towards the middle of the first season of GLTAS (the episode name was "Regime Change") and that particular character got a descent amount of voice-time and I'm about 99.9999999% sure that it's him. When you've been hearing a voice for a dozen years, it tends to stick out, even when another face is put to it. ;) The voice actor's name is Brian George: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_George

Awesome! That's a great find! I like the British accent he gave Desslok. He managed to capture the elegance from seasons 1 & 2 and put his own spin on it. I'm pretty sure he also did the voice of Frakken (Lugar von Feral) because there were times that a hint of Desslok came out of it (just like Dash sounded a bit like Desslok in 1 & 2). Thanks much for the link. it's always nice to know the names of the people who give these characters voice and heart.
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 pm

• Hi.

Generally, how's everyone doing with their fan efforts?

I'd go into more about myself and my huge saga (which has grown like Topsy over the past few years) but I'm at work on my phone day and the phone can ring any moment.

So, I'll just politely give my website, which is one of the places where one can find Star Blazers/Yamato fanfics (mostly SB fanfics)

http://www.visions.comet-empire.com

Some of you know of this site, others may not. I have writers there with different levels of proficiency, all with different tales-some light-hearted, others very serious.

Hope you enjoy what you can find there (although, granted, I know some of the tales may not be to everyone's taste)...

--FREDDO
    freddok
    Cadet

Previous

Return to Fan Fiction

Information